Monday, March 30, 2009

ING Georgia Half Marathon

Post-Race

Back from Atlanta and my first half marathon race! After this experience, I wonder to myself why I never did any sports up through high school. Running a race is such an exhilarating rush!

I must admit I was a bundle of nerves and stress up until the moment the race began. My poor boyfriend took the brunt of my mood but he was a saint with putting up with it. Once my feet took off, though, all worries went out the window. The dark was hardly noticeable in the midst of the energy of 15,000 runners. My legs felt strong. There were no cramps or stomach pains of any kind. Even my shaky knees firmed up for those 13.1 miles.

I was previously worried about how effective my training was, especially since 95% of it was done inside on a treadmill. I don't know if it was the adrenaline or good preparation or what, but I felt strong and confident the entire way. That's not to say the race wasn't challenging. It definitely was, and it was very hilly! Around mile 10 I started to feel the fatigue and by the final stretch, I was full-out panting. But it all felt amazing! I knew that I was keeping a good pace and that my body was fully prepared. It was even more fun and exciting to run than I imagined!

So I originally wanted to finish the half marathon in under 2 hours, at an average 9min/mile pace. My actual time was 1:48:56. How awesome!

Overall, I don't think I could've asked for a better first race experience. I still haven't fully come down from the high -- either that or it still hasn't fully hit me yet. But I am already thinking about the next race I can run =)

No comments: